Print

Storytelling Inspiration

on 31 October 2008.

Everything we do as producers is ultimately about storytelling. Whether you are creating formal fiction or just doing something as mundane as corporate or event video, it's all about storytelling. As humans, we're natural storytellers, but technology has a tendency to get in the way and make something that should be easy, complex. Sometimes, it's nice to take a step back and concentrate on the basics.

Ira Glass is a master storyteller. If you are not familiar with the weekly radio show This Amercian Life, I'd highly recommend you look up the schedule or pop over to the site and download some episodes to listen to. One of my favorites is Notes on Camp from last year, although anything with David Sedaris or Sarah Vowell will do.

I was more than a little excited when a friend pointed me to some videos Mr. Glass made for Current TV about the art of storytelling. You can see a clip of the first segment above. The entire program can be view here, however:

• Storytelling videos from Ira Glass, Sarah Vowell, Dave Eggers, Robert Redford and Elvis Mitchell (among others) are also available on Current. 
  • Producer Training tips from Gear to Shooting to Editing is also on the site. Brilliant! (Although the Storytelling area is by far and away the gem of the section.)

* Thanks to Jeff Whitley for heppin' me to the Ira Glass videos which led to the Current site.

References:
* Mo’ better radio by Ira Glass
This Amercian Life
* Storytelling videos on Current
* Producer Training tips on Current

Add comment

Security code
Refresh